Pearl Star

Keeper of Flocks

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
Southwest Ohio
I’m very intrigued with this breed, the Pearl Star, from the Czech Republic.
Recently I‘ve read very good things about the hens.
But I was curious to know what if any experience any of you may have had with the Roosters of this breed.
I have a small flock of these pullets and may someday acquire a rooster.
Any information on the breed is appreciated.
So far, I have found the chicks to be very alert and active, yet calm.

“DOMINANT BROWN D392
DOMINANT BROWN D 392 (Salmon) is a very attractive coloured program reminiscent of the Partridge or Golden Partridge breeds, with the difference that our program is auto sexing and has variability in eggshell colour, from white to cream to light brown. It is very popular as a final hybrid for self-sufficient farms. Owing to its attractive colouring, it is also used in the export of parent breeding pairs for the production of eggs in self-sufficient family farms. The asset is relatively high productivity, namely laying over 280 eggs.
This program is the result of cross breeding the Brown Leghorn paternal population and the Leghorn with Columbian or Sussex marking maternal population. When hatching one-day-old chickens, colour sexing is applied by using allele of the Silver/Gold "S/s" gene, where the one-day-old cockerel acquires the dominant allele of this "S" gene from the mother and is predominantly yellow, particularly on the head and around the beak. The one-day-old hen receives recessive allele "s" from the father and is predominantly brown, often with typical back stripes, characteristic of Brown Leghorns and Partridges.”
https://www.dominant-cz.cz/en/programs/white-and-cream/detail/137/dominant-brown-d392

Attachments

• 927C7168-6565-49D7-B18B-2CD57E137579.jpeg
    927C7168-6565-49D7-B18B-2CD57E137579.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 017E8839-CBD2-4016-9D09-80C746DCAAE1.jpeg
    017E8839-CBD2-4016-9D09-80C746DCAAE1.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 66E63B3B-F9C3-479D-A488-ED7115CFC996.jpeg
    66E63B3B-F9C3-479D-A488-ED7115CFC996.jpeg
    17.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thank you! I had read that one and @Kwoka had a helpful reply that led me to the D392 breeding description. After closer review of the breed, along with some confusion about whether or not they would breed true, I learned that they are made using a Brown (photo looks to be a Dark Brown Leghorn) and a Colombian Leghorn.
Partly I was uncertain of whether or not they bred true because I had read that someone had been told they would by a hatchery worker (unreliable), and I read on Townline’s own website description they are “ heritage“.
After calling Townline and speaking with a person with knowledge of their breeds, and I told them about this, they changed it to say “Cross-breed”.

https://townlinehatchery.com/product/pearl-star-leghorn/

https://www.dominant-cz.cz/en/programs/white-and-cream/detail/136/dominant-sussex-d304

So, as far as hybrids go, I really like this one!
And since Colombian Leghorns are rare, I suppose one could get close enough by a mating of a Brown Leghorn over a Light Sussex. I think I would be happy with this cross, and maintaining these two purebreeds as well.
Only now, I have more questions, such as, will a wild type (Light) brown leghorn or a (Dark) red type leghorn both be sufficient to produce the sex linked offspring? I find the Light Brown Leghorn to be very beautiful, but then again so is the Dark. The sex linked capability is the goal, and being able to keep less pure breeds but still get to make good utility crosses.

Last edited:
Thank you! I had read that one and @Kwoka had a helpful reply that led me to the D392 breeding description. After closer review of the breed, along with some confusion about whether or not they would breed true, I learned that they are made using a Brown (photo looks to be a Dark Brown Leghorn) and a Colombian Leghorn.
Partly I was uncertain of whether or not they bred true because I had read that someone had been told they would by a hatchery worker (unreliable), and I read on Townline’s own website description they are “ heritage“.
After calling Townline and speaking with a person with knowledge of their breeds, and I told them about this, they changed it to say “Cross-breed”.

https://townlinehatchery.com/product/pearl-star-leghorn/

https://www.dominant-cz.cz/en/programs/white-and-cream/detail/136/dominant-sussex-d304

So, as far as hybrids go, I really like this one!
And since Colombian Leghorns are rare, I suppose one could get close enough by a mating of a Brown Leghorn over a Light Sussex. I think I would be happy with this cross, and maintaining these two purebreeds as well.
Only now, I have more questions, such as, will a wild type (Light) brown leghorn or a (Dark) red type leghorn both be sufficient to produce the sex linked offspring? I find the Light Brown Leghorn to be very beautiful, but then again so is the Dark. The sex linked capability is the goal, and being able to keep less pure breeds but still get to make good utility crosses.
Both types of brown leghorns would work. You could even do a cross of a brown and a silver leghorn to produce sex-linked chicks.

Back
Top Bottom