Pearl white leghorns 21 weeks not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickens15, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Chickens15

Chickens15 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Wen did your pearl white leghorns start laying trying to wait patiently but do you think they are molting why are there feathers in the coop lots thanks and i was wondering is it because they are young it says they lay early or the weather change do they do good in winter lay in winter :(:( I am waiting her is a pic of the pearl white leghorns i keep them in a coop give them feed and water they were moved into this coop a month ago could that be the problem can,t wait for my first egg :D

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    At 21 weeks, your chickens are still very young. I don't generally expect to see eggs from my hens until they're at least 6 months old, and even older for some breeds.
    To answer your other question, yes, your young chickens are probably molting. Young birds molt a few times to shed their baby feathers before their adult feathers come in. After that, they should molt once a year.

Chickens do tend to lay less in the winter because of the shorter days, but leghorns are such prolific layers that you will probably still see some eggs once they're ready to start.

1 person likes this.
  3. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    All my chickens molted before starting to lay, once you start noticing less feathers laying around (not sure where they went) watch for their combs to grow and turn red.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by