Pearl White Leghorns with spots

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by driehuis, Aug 12, 2011.

1. driehuis

driehuis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Hi all,

I was so excited to get my shipment of chicks this morning with every single one alive and healthy. I received barred rocks, red stars and pearl white Leghorns along with a free exotic chick which looks to be an EE.

The only thing confusing me is there are a few little black spots on a few of the Leghorns. Is this normal? Will the spots go away as they get feathers? I guess I am just wondering if there is a good chance these chicks aren't purebred. None of the leghorns from my last order had them. Regardless, they are cute!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They are most likely the hybrid form of the White Leghorn. If you ordered them from Ideal, I know they offer the pure White Leghorn and the Ideal version that is supposed to be an even better layer. Check to see what you ordered. If you did order the pure White Leghorns, give them a call and they will most likely be happy to correct their mistake.

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I got one of those. They are known as "California Leghorns". Their eggs are pearly white without the spots. [​IMG]

4. driehuis

driehuis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I got them from McMurray and they call them "The Pearl White Leghorn". I just thought they were regular white leghorns but maybe the hybrid status is why they call them by a slightly different name. If they are the same as the ones I got this spring, they are EXCELLENT layers. They started laying @ 16 weeks and have all laid an egg virtually everyday since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by