1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pears

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coshappyhens, Oct 7, 2015.

1. coshappyhens

coshappyhens New Egg

Jun 15, 2015
    Has anyone given their chickens Pears?

If so.. should I slice them up and skin them?

I just got fresh ones from an orchard.. and have a few left over.. I was going to give them when I got home... let me know

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    They love pears, at least ours do. IMO, I would peel them, unless they are organic. Most of the pesticides used on food crops are on fruits and pears are no exception. If you aren't concerned about pesticides, just give them unpeeled. No need to chop them up, they will be able to eat them easier by pecking at a whole pear than a large chunk.

3. MadAnt

MadAnt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    Pears? Ummm... skin and slice, cook in light syrup with some cinnamon. Yum. Wait, this is "feeding flock" thread [​IMG]

I can confirm, that chicken loves pears. Whole or sliced, usually they got offcuts only. Peeling will not reduce amount of pesticides, except what was removed with skin.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

You don't have to slice or skin them. Just toss them in the run and watch the games begin [​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Pears a great treat for the flock![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by