Peas are laying and I am clueless

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by missevie, Jan 23, 2011.

1. missevie

missevie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Dallas
    The last 2 weeks here have been horrible weather wise. Wet and cold. So I have just been going in the pen, filling water and food bowls and passing out treats then going back inside. I, of course, do my once over on the pen to make sure everything is ok. Well this morning was mild and when I was filling up the feed bowls, something told me to look behind the log pile where I had stashed some hay for the winter. I found 6 eggs. Three looked almost like chicken eggs, but to large cause I only have one bantam hen, and the other three looked like snake/turkey eggs. They were much larger, and I know they are not snake eggs because I used to breed snakes.lol.

I collected all of them, cleaned them, and put them in my incubator at 100d. Did I do everything right? This is my first time and I am also aware that these could just be infertile eggs.

2. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    No first thing you should of done is packed them in a prepaid box and mailed them to me. [​IMG]

3. missevie

Oct 15, 2010
    Dallas
    HAHA, I am more than willing to swap eggs with someone once I know for sure that everything I'm doing is right. Just got to get the hang of it first. That was a good one though.lol

My real experience with eggs is with exotics, cockatoos, rosellas, burks, those kinds. And of course reptiles. This is my first time with peafowl. Good thing is I know if they are good they had to have come from my green male and most likely my green split pied female because she is the oldest. The others are yearlings. Tomorrow I am going to the feedstore for oyster shell

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good find! I incubated several last year & kept 12, ended up keeping 1 Purple Peacock, & 3 Purple Peahens. I can't wait to hatch their younguns! [​IMG] Next year. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    you don't want to swap eggs with me they will all be duds. I don't have a mature peacock to cover my hens. My little peacock i just got will be 1 this summer so maybe next year. I hope your eggs are fertile and they all hatch for you. keep us posted as soon as you candle them.

6. missevie

Oct 15, 2010
    Dallas
    Oh I will. I am so excited, but fully prepared for the heart wrenching disappointment if they are duds.lol

7. channon

channon New Egg

Jan 25, 2011
    I am new to this group, we have a peacock, but he is really miserable because his mate died and I have had no luck at all finding another one. He is in an aviary right now because he has a nasty habit of attacking people and I do not know how to stop him from doing so,

8. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    missevie, yep, they most likely will not be fertile but never hurts to find out! [​IMG] They take 26-27 days to hatch, stop turning on day 24. Temp at 100 is good, humidity I usually keep in the 55% range then up to 65% for lockdown. You should be able to candle and see if they are fertile 10 days in, you could check at 7 days but might not see good development yet, by 10 days you definitely will. good luck!

one of our hens laid a couple eggs just before Christmas, thankfully she came to her senses and realized this is just not the time to lay. Even though I knew they wouldn't be fertile, i couldn't help but put them in the bator. [​IMG] waited 10 days and as I figured--duds. oh well, just got me excited for spring!

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Do your peacock have a full train,and is he displaying? Thats what you need , think its a little early, but you are alot futher south. Some peahens start laying before the peacocks start breeding.

Good luck

10. missevie

Oct 15, 2010
    Dallas
    Thank you for the info 6, DM my male is doing the dance and posturing. He has been ready for a while. The females (2 one ready to breed and one yearling) seem to be interested. MOF, the yearling laid in front of him yesterday after his dance. They didn't do anything while I stood there but were in that stance for about 30 mins. He has his full train, he never lost it. He is 3 going on 4. His trained only thinned a tiny bit but he never lost the lust of it.

I am thinking that it might have been a clutch from my yearling. Maybe she just overreacted to the dance.lol. Like I said, I am hopeful but fully aware of the possibility, and likelihood that they are duds. After the 6 were collected, I havent found anything in there except for 2 bantam eggs. I put them in the middle of the pen for the peas to inspect. My male was really interested in them and my breeding female looked interested. The yearlings just rolled them around. I am sacrificing what is most likely fertile eggs to teach my peas.lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by