Peas as treats and soft shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cheezenkwackers, Feb 21, 2019.

1. peas as treats and have egg quality problems.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. peas as treats and do not have egg quality problems.

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. no peas but I do have egg quality problems.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. no peas and I do not have egg quality problems.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. cheezenkwackers

cheezenkwackers Songster

Aug 28, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    I have had issues with soft shelled eggs for the last year. So, I was hopeful when my girls stopped laying for the winter that they would have time to refill their calcium stores and lay nice, hard-shelled eggs when they resumed laying in the spring. Well, they have begun and the problems are continuing. I have supplemented with calcium in several forms and vitamin D for months with only minor improvement. I found an article today which suggests that high concentrations of phosphate in their blood can cause shell-less or rubber eggs. Since peas are high in phosphorus, I am wondering if I have been causing the problem because I give them peas as treats every morning. Has anyone who gave peas daily had this problem? Or, do any of you give peas daily and not have shell quality issues? Any help would be appreciated.

DobieLover likes this.
  2. PenguinsCraft

PenguinsCraft Formal Chicken

Oct 28, 2013
    Custer, Kentucky USA
    I usually only give peas once every other week. I would cut out the peas for a month and see if the shells improve. If they improve you know the cause. If they don't improve another cause would have to be found.

3. LilyLoo

LilyLoo Songster

Sep 15, 2018
    Arizona
    I feed my 2 girls thawed out frozen peas everyday as treats. It's how I get them to go where I need them to go. They also enjoy lots of romaine lettuce and or red leaf or green leaf along with their peas a few times a day. And I also feed free choice oyster shells and layer pellets and all the bugs they can find. No egg problems here, yet. They just had their first birthday yesterday.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'm not sure? I don't feed peas very often. My Hens get Oyster shell in a separate dish when laying.

Kkrista123 and PenguinsCraft like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia ~Delight yourself in the Lord~

Did you throw them a party?Happy Birthday Lily aN Loo

6. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    You know I have given my ducks thawed frozen peas a few times because I thought they'd go crazy for them. They didn't at all. Strange isn't it?

7. quackiemama

quackiemama Songster

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Mine get peas at least 3 times a week since it is their absolute favorite (besides mealworms). I only noticed softer shells when one of my runners decided to molt out of nowhere but that cleared right up. I do also keep oyster shell around which did help her too.

8. PenguinsCraft

Oct 28, 2013
    Custer, Kentucky USA
    Of course, they had to be different.

DuckyDonna and quackiemama like this.
  9. PenguinsCraft

Oct 28, 2013
    Custer, Kentucky USA
    I am a miser when it comes to treats. I am hoping to get the one pen finished in the next few weeks.

madlaina and DuckyDonna like this.
  10. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    @DuckyDonna Gil doesn't really like pea's either! She hates tomatoes and dislikes strawberries and corn. I hope I don't ever have kids this picky!!!! When I found out ducks could have a little bit of low fat or non fat milk I let her try a little bit thinking she would love it. She didn't seem to care for milk either! She dislikes her treats 'quack snacks' ever since she had mealworms.

The quack snacks I am referring to are these (not my pic but same product!)
    download.jpg She liked them at first, then had mealworms and didn't have much interest in these little balls of poultry treat!

She will eat lettuce and some veggies, mealworms, oyster shell as she needs it, french fries and anything I am eating. I try to make sure she doesn't eat french fries... but she goes so crazy for them and always steals some and I can't be mad at her for it because she turns her head and gives me that look!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: