1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peas for duck treats

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by THunter, Jun 28, 2011.

1. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

When you guys talk about giving ducks peas as a treat, do you cook them first? Frozen or raw? Green or blackeye?

2. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Buy a cheap bag of frozen peas. Thaw them out and serve. My ducks also love cherry tomatoes and grapes (cut in half).

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yep, thawed frozen peas without added salt and sugar. Ducks love them. I find that if they're picky about eating them, at first, it's best to put them in water and let them forage/dive for them.

4. THunter

What about dried peas?

5. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

All of my ducks LOVE peas. I started my calls and other ducklings I've incubated on peas. As babies I smashed them up a little. Now I throw them in the water and they go crazy. They either get frozen and thawed or straight from the garden!

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote:I tried using dried peas (because they are heaps cheaper than frozen peas) but the ducks did not like them. I used a kind of pea called 'blue cooking peas' or something like that - they were not exactly the kind that you get frozen but they looked very similar and were the closest thing I could find in dried form. I soaked them overnight and gave them to the ducks scattered on the ground and in a bowl of water. Nope, not interested [​IMG] If you could find proper green peas (dried) these might work though. Split green peas might also be worth a try.

7. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I used to just thaw them out and throw them on the ground. Then I started to feed the ducks the peas out of the palm of my hand. Now I tend to throw them into a bucket of water. If you have friends that are in the restaurant business, you may want to buy them by the case like the restaurants do. Once you see how much they love them, you'll be addicted to giving them peas. They are the crack of the duck world.

8. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    In this summer heat my ducks love them frozen. I do not thaw them out but I throw them into the pool. They LOVE them. Most of the time they are scrambling to get them out of my hand before I can even toss them into the water.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I use just regular old frozen peas, i thaw them then give them in a bowl, While i hold it [​IMG]

10. THunter

Found out dried ones don't work for 2-week-old muscovies. Guess I'll have to find my girl a new duck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by