Peas gone????

chickpeagirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I had 3 peacocks hatched & raised with my chickens. They were a year old in May I got them 2 hens (3years old). The hens were here about a month & the boys went in the pen with them. I thought this was great, they all stayed in the pen together about 2 weeks & something got in & killed one of the hens. So I let the other 4 out to free range like the boys had done for a while. They were all out about 2 weeks & one of the boys just disappeared! No feathers or anything just gone. Maybe a week later another boy gone. So now the other 2 are back in the coop with the chickens. My question is would they have left on there own after all that time & always being here?? Please tell me what you thing happened to them!! Thank you!!

I don't have peas, but we do have a customer that does. Both are males, and both just showed up at her farm and stayed. So it appears they come and go where they please.

I had 3 peacocks hatched & raised with my chickens. They were a year old in May I got them 2 hens (3years old). The hens were here about a month & the boys went in the pen with them. I thought this was great, they all stayed in the pen together about 2 weeks & something got in & killed one of the hens. So I let the other 4 out to free range like the boys had done for a while. They were all out about 2 weeks & one of the boys just disappeared! No feathers or anything just gone. Maybe a week later another boy gone. So now the other 2 are back in the coop with the chickens. My question is would they have left on there own after all that time & always being here?? Please tell me what you thing happened to them!! Thank you!!

Sometimes peafowl will leave to find others. Especially during breeding season if there are too many males to hens you can sometimes have males disappear.

I had peacocks leave many times and was told by numerous people they seen them running with wild turkeys. They would be gone for days, but always come back. I have seen one of my birds with the turkeys also.

Kskingbee has a good point about varmints, coyotes will normally grab and run and so will foxes. Coons will eat on sight and are very messy and are known to pick birds clean through the smallest of wires. At night peafowls love to roost high but if not used to free range they can get startled by varmints and they fly straight up and out and sometimes get lost. Pick a radius of mile around your place and look for others that have fowl doesnt have to be peas, chickens, guineas, etc... Something they might relate to and you will find them hopefully. Best wishes on your recovery, if you dont find them and if your ever near central texas stop by and see me and I'll do my best to replace them for you for free.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss.
I have had them penned for months, let them out and off they go but have also had them stick around..
That's an awful nice gesture the Gerald Barker extended to you! Nice to know that there are still good, kind, generous people out there.
Best of luck with the remaining peas!

Thanks I still have fingers crossed but I think they are gone for good! Yes it is very nice of Gerard, it does make you feel good when people just understand the love for the birds! Some people just think you are crazy! Haha:/

Back
Top Bottom