faizan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
65183_flood_044.jpg

65183_flood_040.jpg

and their father approx 19 months old
65183_41079_148495998509299_100000466984922_401610_785803_n.jpg

OK, That is a Black Shoulder Hen and the Male is a Blue, is he Split to Black Shoulder?? the chicks look to be BS or White, and were did the Pied chick come from?? are both split to Pied and BS??. I am just trying to figure out how you produce these chicks with the birds you have pictured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That is the question i have been asking in many other posts.... male is an indian blue , as his chicks are blackshoulder and a pied , he should be split to blackshoulder pied or black shoulder...
i have only these 2 peafowl that i hav shown.... yet i dont have any idea how these chicks were produced with this peafowl....
so, most probably male is a split to pied and bs....

and also tell me that do albino chicks look similar to those of blackshouler? and is there possibility of these chicks bieng white?

White peacocks are not albino, they are white. There's a huge difference lol

I will take a stab at answering this partly because I want to see how well I am catching on:
White chicks look similar to BS chicks, except BS chicks will have slightly off-color wing feathers at that age. The wing feathers will be slightly tan, I think. Both the 'white' colored chicks in the photo looks BS to me, not white.

As for the pied chick... well, when did you get the two parents and from where? Is there a possibility that she was bred by a different male before being sold or given to you? If they are anything like chickens, they can be away from the male for weeks before they lose fertility from a single breeding. If you recently bought them and if they were in a pen with older males, the chances are that your male is not the baby daddy at all, especially with him being so young.

Quote:
firstly, i sorry for dat albino thingy jus didnt knw if dere z any difference..
secondly, i exchanged my peacock to get the female as i had two males...for about 4 months back...
so there isnt any chance of female to hav bred with any one else except his new mate... and i have seen them mating too...

The Hen is Black Shoulder so she would also have to be split to Pied as well, the male is Blue so he would have to be Split BS and Pied to get these chicks. Does your male have white flight feathers?? can't tell from the photo.

(Kedreeva, good answer)

The male is split black shoulder as proven by the black shoulder chicks.

The pied baby proves the parents are at the very least, one is split white and one is split pied. I saw in another message that both parents have white in their wings. It's possible one parent is split white and one is pure pied. Lots of pure pieds look the same as split whites.. no way to tell the difference without test breeding.

White and pied are two different genes. It's said they are alleles, meaning they are found on exactly the same spot on same chromosome, which means no bird can be pure for *both* pied and white.. so that is why the pieds with patches of white cannot breed true.. this also means a normal colored bird cannot be split for both pied and white. That is why it has to be one parent is pure pied or split pied and the other split white for your pair. The pied chick has one pied and one white gene, which causes it to be pied with the patches of white.

You will eventually get solid whites someday once those babies are old enough to breed. Keep the pied chick and breed it with the bird with the most white in wings(which may mean it is split white. Pied bred with split white will give whites, pieds and blue looking chicks). Or if you get another pied(maybe one or both of the black shoulder will turn out to be pied too), breed the two pieds together.. that will give you 1/4 solid white chicks along 1/2 pied and 1/4 blue looking(but genetically pure pied).

The parent pair never will throw pure white babies.. it is impossible due to the genetics. If you get a white bird(s), will find out which parent is split white or pied/pure pied by breeding it with them.

Faizan to answer your other question. All black shoulder chicks are born like that. No matter what other color they are. Even a pied black shoulder are born looking like that. Sometimes you can tell a black shoulder is possibly pied or will have white in wings by spreading the wings, sometimes several feathers will be pure, solid white, with the other feathers showing the light tan/cream color. But usually, with black shoulder chicks it is best to simply wait for several weeks until they get feathers all over the body. Then you will be able to tell if it is pied too.. Or not.

White chick feathers are always pure solid white, no color at all. (but they can get tan looking for a little while if they bathe in the dust/dirt) I also see some color on your chick's wings, and agree they are probably black shoulder. Besides, you cannot get pied *and* pure whites from your pair.. which rules out any chance of white chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
thanx for this huge post.... dat waz de answer i was lookin for.....
male=split pied,black shoulder
female: split white
chicks= bs,bs,pied...

Back
Top Bottom