Peas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BriardChickens, Oct 1, 2015.

1. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    So my ducks love peas, but for the amount of ducks we have it would run the costs quite high to keep buying the frozen peas from the grocery store.
    What are your feelings towards dry green peas? We have a seed cleaning plant not far form us that sells them.

Just to clarify, the peas make a nice treat and probably would supplement their green intake in our long white winters a bit.
    Are they ok dry or should I soak them or would they be ok to feed at all?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use split peas in my fermented feed, not sure about using them just plain dried. I'll see what I can find. Seems there was someone here on BYC that was adding dried peas to their homemade chicken feed.

3. BriardChickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    I wouldn't mind bringing some in at night to let them soak in some water if needed...

Thanks for your reply [​IMG]@Miss Lydia

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. BriardChickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    The problem with FF are my winters.. Once the snow falls, it stays until about May. Around January/February we'll drop to -35C over night. Hence my question on just dried peas. Over the winters I think i'd prefer dry feeds..

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I understand I have to use heated dog bowls to feed ff in winter. Since dried split peas are in the chicken feed mix I posted I'd say the ducks could eat them okay I use chicken feed in my ff .Can't buy water fowl feed around here.

1 person likes this.
  7. BriardChickens

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    That's an awesome recipe. Thanks!!

I run into the same problem with water fowl feed here, I can get duck starter and grower but they don't feel right to feed long term to the layer flock. Heading over to the seed cleaning plant on Thursday now![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by