Peas

BriardChickens

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Northern Alberta
So my ducks love peas, but for the amount of ducks we have it would run the costs quite high to keep buying the frozen peas from the grocery store.
What are your feelings towards dry green peas? We have a seed cleaning plant not far form us that sells them.

Just to clarify, the peas make a nice treat and probably would supplement their green intake in our long white winters a bit.
Are they ok dry or should I soak them or would they be ok to feed at all?

So my ducks love peas, but for the amount of ducks we have it would run the costs quite high to keep buying the frozen peas from the grocery store.
What are your feelings towards dry green peas? We have a seed cleaning plant not far form us that sells them.

Just to clarify, the peas make a nice treat and probably would supplement their green intake in our long white winters a bit.
Are they ok dry or should I soak them or would they be ok to feed at all?
I use split peas in my fermented feed, not sure about using them just plain dried. I'll see what I can find. Seems there was someone here on BYC that was adding dried peas to their homemade chicken feed.

I wouldn't mind bringing some in at night to let them soak in some water if needed...

Thanks for your reply
big_smile.png
@Miss Lydia

The problem with FF are my winters.. Once the snow falls, it stays until about May. Around January/February we'll drop to -35C over night. Hence my question on just dried peas. Over the winters I think i'd prefer dry feeds..

The problem with FF are my winters.. Once the snow falls, it stays until about May. Around January/February we'll drop to -35C over night. Hence my question on just dried peas. Over the winters I think i'd prefer dry feeds..
I understand I have to use heated dog bowls to feed ff in winter. Since dried split peas are in the chicken feed mix I posted I'd say the ducks could eat them okay I use chicken feed in my ff .Can't buy water fowl feed around here.

That's an awesome recipe. Thanks!!

I run into the same problem with water fowl feed here, I can get duck starter and grower but they don't feel right to feed long term to the layer flock. Heading over to the seed cleaning plant on Thursday now!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom