Peas!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Aug 22, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Well, after seeing numerous posts on here about giving your ducks peas as a treat, I broke down and thawed some frozen peas. The ducks love their peas almost as much as I do. Now I have to share my frozen peas with the ducks! [​IMG]

Have loved peas since I was a kid![​IMG] Can eat a whole bowl by themselves for a snack myself!

Anyone want to guess who is going to make out best in the "who gets the peas" competition?

Did I mention the ducks are getting very spoiled????

[​IMG]

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Half of my freezer is peas [​IMG] and they are just for the ducks!

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Off to Costco for frozen peas....and guess I had better plant many more peas in the garden next year! [​IMG]

Husband says peas are too expensive to feed ducks....he obviously doesn't buy their feed.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  4. RunnerWhisperer

RunnerWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great idea to keep a garden for duck treats!! Mine love spinach a lot. So I thought I would grow some of that and lettuce too. Maybe some tomato's and peas and whatever else I may want to try!

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I was so disappointed when my new muscovy were scared of the little green things I threw in their direction. An occasional nibble after finding one on the ground but nobody ate them. Problem solved, put some peas in a large pan of water and they ate them right up.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners like peas any way they are served, but greens must be in a bowl of water.

Spoilt?

7. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Mine love the peas - if they are in water. No water, they want nothing to do with them.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Bobbing for peas is a fun sport around here. [​IMG]

9. trees

trees Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    my ducks like peas but they [​IMG] tomatoes! they cant get enough, i have to ration them...they even try and eat the ones growing in the garden...hubby not happy lol

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:tomatoes are another big hit here, yep gotta keep them surrounded by netting. in the winter my chickens will eat cabbage but not the ducks they don't like it, but I have Comfrey growing in one of my beds and I'll pull a couple leaves off and hang them and between the ducks and chickens it's gone in short order.. won't be long till pumkin season, I'll try them again last year noone liked them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by