PEASE HELP MY CHICKENS ARE LOOSING ALLLLLL FEATHERS ON THEIR NECK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by philipchickymad, Nov 9, 2013.

1. philipchickymad

philipchickymad Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    PLEASE HELP I WAS AWAY FOR THE WEEK AND WHEN I CAME BACK SOME OF THE CHICKENS HAVE LOST ALL THEIR FEATHERS ON THEIR NECK THEY"VE BEEN EATING WELL AND DRINKING PLEASE HELP.THANKYOU,PHILIP

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Really hard to read that on a phone by the way.

Is there any chance they are just moulting?

3. philipchickymad

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    PERHAPS BUT I THOUGHT I THE MOULT THEY DIDNT LOOSE ALL FEATHERS I PLACES IF TIS THE MOULT WHAT SHOULD I DO/FEED THANKS

4. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    First thing I would do is post a photo of exactly what you are talking about.

And yep they can loose lots of feathers when they moult. If it is They will grow back no matter what you do but you can give them a bit more protien to help them along.

The other possibility could be mites. Take a look at their bottoms and see if it looks like the feathers have white eggs stuck along them close to the skin.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Finally!!!! I can take off my reading glasses and read this!!!!![​IMG]

I've had chickens in molt that have only lost neck feathers, this is normal. Next year it might only be tail feathers, or lose ALL feathers.
    Just in case, visually inspect them closely for lice and mites.
    Also, there should be feathers on the ground. If not, you might have one serious feather picker and the feathers are being eaten by the feather picker or the other birds. If this is the case, observe your birds to locate the feather picker(s.)

6. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Oh and did you have someone looking after them for you or do you mean you left them alone for a week?

If you left them locked up they probably pulled the feathers out from boredom.

7. philipchickymad

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    no my dad was looking after them (feeding,watering and cleaning the coop) and they had their outdoor freedom as usual

8. philipchickymad

May 14, 2013
    Ireland
    there is lots of feathers on the ground and if there is mites on one does that mean all of them [​IMG] if so what should i do

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Lots of feathers on the ground means they are in molt, normal for this time of the year. If you found mites on one of your chickens, pick the others up and visually inspect them one by one. Closely inspect their vent area, external parasites prefer warm moist places on a chicken.
    Here's a link that will help you identify external parasites, IF your birds have them:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You can check the feathers and the birds for signs of bugs or eggs. The eggs are usually a white cluster around the Feather shaft. You can look online for examples and pictures. and generally if one does have it its very likely the others may as well. I would treat all of them for bugs if you suspect that. Some use poultry dust to rid the bugs. I'm not sure exactly which would be the best product to use. I use poultry dust but you can find out what others like to use. The poultry dust controls mites and fleas and lice and ants. You can get it at most Farm stores or online. You can also protect them from bugs with
    flock protector and scaley leg mite protector made
    by manna pro. I believe the manna pro products are
    all natural. I'm not sure the manna pro products
    would work once the birds have the bugs but the
    products are a natural way to prevent them. So you
    will likely want to check your birds for signs of
    infestation if you suspect that's what's going on.
    Then you can treat them accordingly. Hope this
    helps and wish you The best. Its likely the birds are molting as that's common for this time of year but you always want to check for bugs and keep them protected with a product you trust.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by