Pebbles, Sick or Injured Chickie?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cheyenne22, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Cheyenne22

Cheyenne22 New Egg

May 20, 2012
    My pullets just started laying (some haven't yet). My Welsummers are early April 2014 hatches and they have all been beautiful and very healthy until yesterday. When I took them out their fresh veggies yesterday they we all very excited as usual, but one hen, although very alert did not get up to come meet me.

It was very hot yesterday and she was panting and her tail drooped. I immediately was concerned about egg binding, but I also have 2 juvenile Roos (a very gentle Welsummer and a big, clutzy Astralorp). I had some concerns that the Australorp Roo might have been rough with her- though no feathers out of place. I did observe him step right on top of her while she was sitting.

I scooped her up and set her in a box in my studio. As I was carrying her I could feel her feet clutching my arm so it did not seem as though anything was broken. She is drinking water and eating normally, though she had her beak open and was panting. My studio is stone walled and no A/C so it is not cold in there, but not too hot. She remained alert and today I offered her some of a Tums (the only calcium I have) and she did finally pass a whole egg, albeit slightly elongated.

Since then she will stand but drops her wings some to balance. She can walk, but stumbles a bit. Still eating and drinking and alert- not panting much at all. I am attaching a couple of pictures of her and the egg. The egg she passed is the smaller, lighter one, I just put the other egg there to show the size. I wanted to see if any of the knowledgeable folks out there might have any other ideas? If it was egg binding, how long would it take for her to recover? Could there be another bound egg?

I have worked in an emergency Vet hospital and a very experienced horsewoman who has palpated many, many animals (though not a lot of chickens). Palpation revealed nothing to me...no swellings, no obvious pain though I would in no way be expert in chicken palpating. Any advise would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by