Peck Me the cross breed chicken!

redrooster99

Songster
9 Years
Jun 14, 2013
georgia
This is my bantam birchen Cochin bantam and i think black sex link cross. She kept the birchen pattern and yes she is a mixed breed is this common?

She is small, but im not sure if she is bantam or not though.
her beside my other chickens.

soe of her sisters were bigger but they may have been another mix.

This is my bantam birchen Cochin bantam and i think black sex link cross. She kept the birchen pattern and yes she is a mixed breed is this common?

She is small, but im not sure if she is bantam or not though.
her beside my other chickens.

soe of her sisters were bigger but they may have been another mix.
Genetics 101

She can not be a black sex linked hen because she would be a brown red ( gold birchen) if she was from a sex linked cross. She is silver so the father would be silver birchen or at least heterozygous or split for silver and gold. She looks to have feathered feet so at least the mother or father had feathered feet. One of the parents was a bantam or she inherited a recessive sex linked gene (linked to silver) that caused the dwarfism from a heterozygous ( he has dwarf allele and a normal size allele) normal father. She could have also inherited one autosomal recessive dwarfism gene from each parent.

Tim

Last edited:
the dad was a bantam cochin i wasn't sure which one was the mom but she came from a brown egg. could it have been a rir.

the dad was a bantam cochin i wasn't sure which one was the mom but she came from a brown egg. could it have been a rir.

Could have been but she does not appear to carry the columbian gene. It is possible that the RIR only carried one columbian and she did not inherit the columbian. I would think she came from another birchen bird or a black variety. If she has silver pigment mixed in with the black on her back the mother could have been wheaten ( RIR are wheaten) or wild type. The birchen allele is dominant ( in many genotypes) over other E locus alleles ( not the extended black allele). The dominance of the E locus alleles is a tricky subject because other genes can effect the expression of the E locus allele, so I am generalizing.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom