Peck peck peck

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by garngang, Apr 28, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I've had my 12 chicks for around 2 weeks. There are a few that are a little older than the others. But I don't know if this is a factor....ok back to the point. They are all sort of pecking at each others feathers and beaks. Is this normal? I don't see any bald spots or anything. They just peck at each other. Maybe I'm just a paranoid new chick mommy but I'm a little concerned. Anyone had this happen?

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Well, they don't call it a pecking order for nothing. [​IMG] J/K I wouldn't sweat it unless you notice that someone is getting hurt or that one is doing it much more than the others. If that happens, I'd seperate the bully for a bit.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They do peck at each other a bit, curiosity and pecking order stuff. Just keep an eye on it to make sure no one develops bloody spots or loses feathers/down over it.
    If one starts to get picked on you will have to isolate it for protection and probably move them all into a bigger area.

4. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    If it gets out-of-hand and damage is being done, I have to recommend Pinless Peepers. I had a problem with all of my 8 pullets pecking terribly. Part of the problem was too little space, but that did not last long and the pecking did. They are all peeperless now and full feathered ladies with fine manners. The pinless peepers were a humane way to put the pecking to an end ........and I had a little fun with the whole thing. Take a look at the link below.

5. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    As first time owners we had this problem as well with our 10 chicks, 5 which are three weeks old, and 5 which are only 1 week old. We moved them into a much larger brooder and the problem was solved! We also noticed that when we first introduced them to each other they would pick at the black spots or different color spots on each other. They were probably thinking it was food or something but once they learned what they all looked like they learned they were markings instead of food!

6. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I hadn't really thought it could be due to lack of space. They are in a huge chest freezer box. But do y'all think thats a possibility? Hmmm....well maybe it is just the normal pecking order thing and I'm being silly. Thanks a ton btw! [​IMG]

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Hmm - My ten never picked on each other other than just pecking at poo stuck on another's toes or something like that.

I provided a large brooder, red heat lamps, different roosts for them to climb on, a flat topped rock to sit on, and twice a day when I changed the water, I would sprinkle a little scratch on the shavings. All of that would keep them busy so they weren't bored and pecking each other.

Good luck with yours

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is from another thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2069628#p2069628

Dr.Doorlock :

If it gets out-of-hand and damage is being done, I have to recommend Pinless Peepers. I had a problem with all of my 8 pullets pecking terribly. Part of the problem was too little space, but that did not last long and the pecking did. They are all peeperless now and full feathered ladies with fine manners. The pinless peepers were a humane way to put the pecking to an end ........and I had a little fun with the whole thing. Take a look at the link below.

It's always a fun day with my Googly Eye Girls. Pics and Movies at:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/reswuzne/index.html

Last edited: May 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by