Pics

AmyJane725

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
Western WA
E1C7AABF-BE86-4E0F-B66A-1884B64D8D3B.jpeg
Hey guys,

My babies made it through their first night in the new brooder, but when I gave them their lunch I noticed some of them have little bloody spots on their wings up by the shoulders.

I’ve noticed some “fighting” behavior where they kind of belly bump and flap at each other.

There is plenty of food and water and more than enough space.

I’m wondering if this is just part of establishing the pecking order or something I need to do something about?

Also, how should I treat the little wounds?

Yes, but I’m pretty sure it’s not a burn. I’ve used it since day one and never seen anything of the sort. And it’s raised up higher than before so they really shouldn’t be in danger of that now.
Double check the plate because I have seen burns in this exact spot before on here.
I'll look for the threads now.

Double check the plate because I have seen burns in this exact spot before on here.
I'll look for the threads now.
Sorry to sound dumb, but what do I check it for? Burnt on feathers or something? There's no temp control. It's always at a predetermined temperature.

How old do they need to be before I pull the heat?

Also, what size wire dog crate do you use for an adult chicken hospital?

Last edited:
RE the wire crate I use the one where the bottom is like 36”x24”.
I have this one from Amazon, it’s pretty good. The double door 36”. No wire crate does well outside with moisture for a long time.
It has a divider too, so if i take two birds to the vet I can put them in this crate with the divider. And it folds up really flat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QAVNWSK/?tag=backy-20

Back
Top Bottom