Pecked chicken *Photos*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by swuthrich, Nov 20, 2014.

1. swuthrich

swuthrich Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    PNW
    My poor chicken Ariel got pecked on her head Sunday night. It appeared that the coop door blew shut and locked her out and she blocked the way so she got picked on :(( I brought her in and patted the injury with hydrogen peroxide and then a wet towel. Then we put neosporin on it. We've been putting neosporin on it twice a day. I checked back today and while most of it seems to be healing well, a spot where she had a deep laceration had a green spot. I took a syringe and squirted hydrogen peroxide into the area and then took warm water and sprayed it into the area. I then took neosporin on a q-tip and kind of filled the hole with it and then applied it to the rest of her head.
    What else should I do?! She's eating and drinking great. livin in the house for now and seems to be healthy otherwise! Just bald for now :( poor baby.

[​IMG]. Sunday night
    [​IMG] Tuesday
    [​IMG] weds
    [​IMG] today (Thursday)
    [​IMG] today (Thursday)

Thank you for any advice or help!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you are doing a great job so far, and I'm glad she seems to be doing well. The longer she is out of the flock, the harder it will be to get her back into it. If you could put her into a small cage with food and water inside the coop with the others it might keep her place in the flock as she heals. It will take a few weeks for her feathers to grow back in. I would continue the neosporin until it starts to heal.

3. swuthrich

Mar 30, 2014
    PNW
    Okay! We have a separate little caged off area in their run/ should I put in a fake little coop for her to roost and go into at night?? And maybe her buddy? When should I put her back out?

4. swuthrich

Mar 30, 2014
    PNW
    [​IMG]

Today. Is this an infection or normal?? Gosh. I don't know anything about this kinda stuff!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

No buddy, she may pick her even more. I think the injury is looking good.

6. swuthrich

Mar 30, 2014
    PNW
    Okay! Thank you!!!! When should I put her back out into the coop- separated from the other girls but back out with them?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You could put her out now if flies aren't a problem. Here is what I use (covered with bird netting) to separate a chicken from other in my coop:

[​IMG]

8. swuthrich

Mar 30, 2014
    PNW
    Should I make her a makeshift little coop for her to sleep in? It's getting kinda chilly out.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she is going out in the run she would need some protection from the weather. Not knowing your set up, I would try to get her in the coop for warmth, even in a dog crate.

10. swuthrich

Mar 30, 2014
    PNW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the run and coop and then the pen is in the left corner. We had a wire dog crate in there but took it out because they never went into it. We have tarps up on two sides of the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by