pecked chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linbee, May 10, 2016.

1. linbee

linbee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I have 12 6 week old chicks (asstd breeds) Noticed yesterday one was being pecked badly - some blood and missing feathers. Put her in separate cage. Today another has been pecked badly - no blood but lots of missing feathers. Can I put the 2 that have been pecked in one cage? I think my brooder was getting too small - have now fixed that problem but need the 2 pecked girls to heal up.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would put the two together and monitor their behavior.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Don't you have a coop? Six-week olds need a coop and run. Their move-out date is past due.

4. linbee

linbee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I do have a coop - was trying to get my older hens used to the idea of new chicks before I let them out. Have done this many times with no problems, but this time was not so simple.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you use the panic room method of integration? It's simple with a safe refuge for the chicks to zip into where the hens can't follow. Food and water is in the panic room so chicks don't need to compete.

You can then move the chicks into the coop because they run out in the morning into their panic room, and bit by bit they gain the self confidence to deal with the adults. Roosting time isn't too tricky if you help the chicks learn to go in at night after the adults have roosted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by