Pecked eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IRL, Jan 23, 2011.

1. IRL

IRL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Two days ago, we realized that our pekin duck had been pecked in the eye by our chickens. It has gotten worse, and around the eye it is red and missing feathers. There is some sort of foamy white stuff in the eye. Last night, we washed it with warm water and put some Neosporin around it. What should I do? I don 't know how I can separate her from them, but could I put some sort of eyepatch over it?
    Should I continue to wash it and put Neosporin around it? Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I doubt a patch would stay anyway, but if it doesn't look any better by tomorrow you might want to get some terramycin eye ointment just in case of infection... all the best

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Regular washing, making sure the duck can wash its own head in relatively clean water (yes, I suggest the impossible sometimes, bad habit of mine), keep up with antibiotic - if you can get the antibiotic eyedrops that's a great idea. Miss Lydia, do you buy that online? I haven't found it at the feed store.

Can you keep the duck away from the chickens for a few days? Maybe even in sick bay, a clean, quiet place to rest?

Some people can run some chicken wire temporarily blocking off a space . . . I have a dog crate indoors that I use to isolate sick birds.

Just some thoughts. Keeping it clean and with antibiotic makes the most sense to me. Do you have poultry vitamins and electrolytes you can give her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by