Pecked eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RhpsPython, Nov 26, 2014.

1. RhpsPython

RhpsPython Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2014
    South Florida
    My barred rock hen has just one eye swollen and mostly closed. I can see her eye through her lids just a little and it looks okay. No discharge from it, the other eye is fine, and she's acting perfectly normal. My guess is my roo pecked her and got her good. Aside from keeping it clean and watching her, is there anything I need to do?
    [​IMG]
    (Don't mind the wetness in this photo, I snatched her right as she was drinking so that's all that is, I checked)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a peck wound or that start of a respiratory disease. In the photo there is a black dot around her eye that could possibly be from a peck, but her nose looks like it could have some sticky drainage. I would try to see which it is. A peck wound can be treated with doctoring her eye with some Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn Eye gel. Plain Neosporin would work if others not available. If you see sticky eye or nasal drainage, or hear gurgles in her throat, then I would assume that it is possibly MG or another disease. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 or a tetracycline drug would be appropriate to treat that. The link below is good to compare the symptoms of the different respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by