Pecked feathers by Americana eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eBird, Mar 2, 2014.

1. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    My Americana is getting picked on by my two other chickens. Her beautiful "mutton chop" feathers below her eyes have been pecked clean. I have been using Pick-No-More Cover-Up Lotion (Rooster-Booster), but I have not been able to apply successfully due to the proximity of her eyes. (I try to apply the lotion with a Q-tip).

Can anyone please recommend an alternative to "Pick-no-more"? Should I use pine tar or blukote? I need something easy to apply and something that won't irritate eyes. Idea?

As for the root problem, the pecking has to stop. I am worried that an eye will get peck out :( I have tried to increase protein content -- the girls get occasional tuna, hard-boiled eggs, and Greek yogurt, I have also heard chopped liver works (is that safe?). The girls have free-run of the garden and plenty of space in their 8'x10' coop. Lots of roosting options and laying boxes. I am also going to try to put a mirror in their coop. Feel like I am spoiling them rotten, but have not had lasting success.

Happy for any advice!

Thank you.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Hard to stop them once they start. Peepers are the only solution. Maybe keep them on for several weeks then take them off to see if the habit is broke. They make pinless peepers and these are not too hard to put on if you have the snap tool or you can warm them up really good and then bend them to put on while someone holds the hen for you. You can find them at poultry supply stores online.

3. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Wow - peepers are new to me. Are they safe for free-ranging chixs? I'm willing to try anything, but I sure wish their was another way.

Such a shame that pecking is an aspect of chicken behavior. Are their breeds that are less prone to pecking!?

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Well, I used them on a few of my hens that are let out to free range. I think it may take a day or two for them to get used to it, but mine did eat and drink with them on. Now, I have open bowl waterers and some open bowl feeders in addition to my regular feeders and waterers. Not too sure how well they would manage with nipple waterers or some type of narrow hole feeder, but they did manage to eat. Peepers obstruct their close vision so they can't zoom in on an object, so bugs may get away from them. The only other thing I can suggest is to cage up the offenders for a month or two so they don't have access and hope that breaks the habit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by