Pecked feathers- pull or leave alone? (and more...)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Jul 16, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Hi all! I tried searching this topic and I found responses on pecked feathers or broken feathers, but none of them really got to this specific point. My young roo has had all of his tail feathers pecked off/out. There are still shafts in there, and some were bleeding when I found him. I've cleaned him up and I believe the bleeding has stopped, but now what's the treatment plan? I have him separated from the others, but do I need to give him any medical attention? Do I put something on it, like neosporin or blu-kote or something? Do I need to pull out the feather shafts that are still there or will they molt when the time comes? I'd prefer not to pull them... but will do what I need to do. [​IMG] I'm thinking he's being pecked because he's a little roo and trying to establish his top spot in the pecking order, but the girls aren't happy about it. Does that seem like it could be the problem? I didn't see any other pecking on other chicks. They are all between 6-9 weeks old. Do you think that once he's fixed up a bit I can reintroduce him or will this just happen over again? I will be giving them more protein incase that is the issue as well. I'm also looking into switching their feed- they are still on chick starter crumbles. Do I look into a layer feed at this age or something else? The feed store had told me chick starter until they are 12-14 weeks, then layer, but I've read different things on here. Thank you!!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So he's the only roo? are the girls older than him? What you have done so far is good. don't pull the shafts. When he has his molt his feathers will come back. I would give him a few days of rest, then spray Blue-kote on him and put him back and see what happens. If they start messing with him again you'll have to pull him out fast. If they free range that would be a good time to reintrduce him to everyone. I wouldn't put them on layer yet. I feed Purina Flock raiser to all my hens, chicks and roos' and offer oyster shell on the side for my layers. that way everyone can eat the same thing. I use crumble till the chicks are about 4 weeks old them I change to pellets because theres alot less waste. Are your girls LF and your roo Bantam?

3. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    He's the only roo I know of right now(and hope he's the only one [​IMG] ). He's the same age as 8 of the girls, then 3 are about 5 days younger and 2 are about 3 weeks older (though only one of the 3 weeks older girls is in with them- the other is also separated as she has an injured leg). And all of them are LF, I have no bantams. I will keep him alone for a few days, then we'll see what happens. If it continues I might just have to find him a new home. We aren't sure we're keeping any roos anyway, but we're still undecided. Thanks for the advice! Also thanks for the feed info- I'll get them something other than chick crumbles and start mixing it to switch them over. Maybe the extra nutrition will help with the pecking. And I'm going to go scramble them some eggs now- they sure love them mixed with yogurt... yummy. Thanks again, I really appreciate the quick reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by