Pecked Frizzle Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stilldeb, May 12, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have a black Cochin Frizzle roo, Freddy, and I don't know how it got started, but his girls have started pecking the heck out of him until he is nekkid. It was just one or two and now it's more of them and he is just a mess. I moved him to a separate pen today to give him a break. If I keep him separate until he heals up and grows some feathers (and no longer has red spots, which I assume is the attraction), should I be able to move him back in? He was actually quite upset at being away from 'his girls', in spite of what they have done to him. I have some anti-peck lotion (Rooster Booster - pine tar/aloe lotion - didn't work) but didn't want to go with Blu-Kote as it has so many warnings on it and he is really a kinda little punky guy.

Before and after pics:

Before - when he had feathers:

[​IMG]

now:

[​IMG]

Any more ideas or suggestions would be great.

deb g
    KY

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my! Could he be molting? Poor rooster looks like a Turken. Some chickens really look just plain awful during a molt.

I know you say you don't like Blue Cote, but I use that if my chickens have a bald spot or wound, and it really seems to deter pecking. They have it in a spray that works great, or you can paint it onto him with a soft brush.

Best of luck!

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    ok I might try the Blu-Kote - didn't want to hurt him. Yeah when it first started I thought he might be molting but no, they surround him like sharks and peck his skin. He is twice their age and half their size, and such a sweetie.

deb g

4. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't worry about it hurting him as much as him being a pruple rooster for a while! ; ) I've used it before, and Blu-Kot has worked great.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Maybe he needs coop mates more his size once he heals up. Give him some extra protein to help him form new feathers. I think he'll be fine:)

6. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Are you sure the hens are pecking him? We have a frizzle hen that looks just like him (featherwise) and she isn't picked on at all-my silkies treat her like a baby, laying on her at night to keep her warm. Don't know what's wrong with her, but she's 8 or 9 and healthy other than that.

7. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Nevermind, just saw your post about them surrounding him like sharks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by