Pecked Golden Comet Picture, today, 8/7......any ideas....

countrycakelady

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Eastern NC

Okay, went out to check on my girl, she was asleep last night when I peeped in on her.....this morning, her pecked spot is HUGE and swollen.....much bigger than yesterday evening. I applied more Neosporin and also have added a small amount of Duramycin-10 to her drinking water, and also gave her a scrambled egg with some raw garlic chopped up finely and a spoonful of sugar free yogurt, which she has eaten about 1/2 of......it looks horrible! :( She is very unhappy being seperated, but I am doing what I can for her....anything else I need to be doing?

Last edited:
She does look like she is either getting an abcess or there is some bleeding under the skin. Can you get some penicillin,amoxicillin, or keflex from your vet? The feedstore has injectable penicillin if you think you can give a shot. Duramycin is more for Mycoplasma and respiratory diseases, and she probably has staph or somesuch infection. My vet will prescribe things for my animals without seeing them as a favor, but I don't know about yours. Warm wet compresses for 10 minutes 3-4 times a day might help too if she will cooperate.

Last edited:
I'm sure you want her in the house now, but leaving her in the coop in a crate may help her keep her place there. Sometimes chickens get pecked by others if something is wrong with them, but it's a shame she got hurt--pecking order squabbles don't usually get this bad.

My dh gives meds and shots to his hunting beagles all the time, I will get some penicillin from TSC, how much should we give her? How often? I am so new to all this....just trying to learn so much at one time, it's overwhelming! She will cooperate with the warm wet compresses too...she's so easygoing, even now that she's hurt so bad. :/ THANK YOU so much for your help!!!

Ack! I have her in a spare dog coop, not in the pen with their coop...do I need to place her in a metal dog crate with food and water and place her in the pen with their coop? I don't want to mess up the order more than what it already is....sigh....wish this had never happened. :(
Where she is at, they can see her across the yard and she can see them, they can all hear each other......ideas?

As long as they can see each other and still be around, that is good. If you have a nice one to put with her under your observation, she might do well with company when she is doing better. I might rotate different ones in with her for short visits--that way you could see who the bully is.

Back
Top Bottom