Pecked in the eye?

ChickenLadyCrissy

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2021
We got two new hens last night. I had them separated in another pen that didn't have a top. I had to shove shove them in with my established flock because of a hawk. I think one of the new girls was pecked in the eye. I'm not sure what to do for her. How do I treat that? I currently have her separated from everyone in a dog crate in the house. She is pooping and eating normally. I have attached a picture of her eye. It did not look this way when I got her.

Attachments

• 20210902_092049.jpg
    20210902_092049.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 19
We got two new hens last night. I had them separated in another pen that didn't have a top. I had to shove shove them in with my established flock because of a hawk. I think one of the new girls was pecked in the eye. I'm not sure what to do for her. How do I treat that? I currently have her separated from everyone in a dog crate in the house. She is pooping and eating normally. I have attached a picture of her eye. It did not look this way when I got her.
I had a similar bird who recovered recently. Rinse eye with saline solution-I keep a bottle contact lens saline rinse on hand. Then treat with Vetericyn Ple=us, Antimicrobial Opthalmic Gel. add drop in eye several times a day for 5 days. It took about 3-4 days for my bird. Hope this helps.

I had a similar bird who recovered recently. Rinse eye with saline solution-I keep a bottle contact lens saline rinse on hand. Then treat with Vetericyn Ple=us, Antimicrobial Opthalmic Gel. add drop in eye several times a day for 5 days. It took about 3-4 days for my bird. Hope this helps.
I have contact lens solution I can use but where do you get vetrericyn?

Poor baby, a hurt eye is not as bad as dying from a hawk though so you did what you had to do. If you have tractor supply or rural king in your area they usually carry what you need. I have some backwoods ones so one tsc carries half the stuff I need and the other one is the opposite. Rural king carries it all but that's 2hrs of driving vs 1hr. I hope she recovers sorry they had to be pushed together before you were ready to introduce them but I'm happy you chose to avoid the hawk. I have one that comes around and so far the pack of crows have been going after it.

Back
Top Bottom