Pecked polish

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LipsChicks, Jan 13, 2015.

1. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    Can anyone help me with my polish getting the top of their heads pecked? I've tried a couple of commercial remedies and they don't help. The best thing I've found is a homemade recipe consisting of diaper rash creme, black food coloring, tea tree oil, and antibiotic cream. Even that doesn't stop them for very long. Any ideas?

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    You need to seperate her, treat her, and wait til she is completely healed. After that process reintroduce her slowly. They will not leave an open wound alone for long.

3. Acornewell

Acornewell Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2012
    LaOtto, Indiana
    I used to put a little bit of vicks vapor rub on my BR hens because they were getting picked on by the older gals. They HATED the smell and would stay clear of them.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR

I agree with both above posts. I learned the hard way that for some birds, feathered heads are irresistable and once they have injured it, it is even more so.

5. LipsChicks

LipsChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2014
    North Dakota
    I'll try the Vicks. Isolation would be tough because there are about 6 of them and living in North Dakota, I can't put them inside. Thanks for the ideas!

6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    If you can get a pet carrier/cage you can put the injured bird inside the pet cage and put that inside the coop. Just a barrier to keep the others from pecking because they will NOT stop if they see blood. Don't forget food and water if you cage her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by