Pecked Pullet

duncanjc

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 19, 2008
Long story short: 6 RI Reds about 6 weeks older than 3 SSH and 3 Andalusians. One of the pullets got pecked so bad about a month ago that I had to move her into the basement and hospitalize her until the feathers on the back of her head grew back.

I put her back in the yard with the other chickens today and within 2 hours she had the same gaping bloody wound on the back of her head.

Is this pullet ever going to be able to move in with her sisters or is it better to euthanize her now? I do not need a hen that can live only in basement of the house.

Yikes. Sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time. I would let her heal (again) and perhaps, later, do some "supervised visitation" or cage her separate, but within view.
I had some 4 week olds that nearly killed a flockmate. We separated her for two weeks. Now, at 7 months, she is a dominant little missy. How old are your girls, anyway?

RI Reds were hatched 1 August. The SSHs 22 September, and the Andalusians one week later. Nobody is even close to laying yet.

Get you some pine tar, it's available at your local tractor supply type store - in the horse supply section.
After she's healed again, put some on the part of her that her sisters like to peck the best.
They really REALLY won't like the taste of it and hopefully they'll find better things to do with their time.

OR you could consider giving her to a new home instead of killing her.
sad.png

Euthanasia was a last resort. I like the pine tar idea and will try that. Chickens are also for eating, not just eggs. Sorry if I offended anyone by suggesting that I might actually not keep a chicken until it died of old age.

Duncanjc,

Never mind about apologizing.
smile.png
You're trying to protect the hen from her sisters and everyone's situation is different.

I'd bring the pullet in, let the wound heal and try the tar pine. Then slowly acclimate the hens by sequestering her in a little space nearby where they can see/hear each other. If there is a friendly hen in the flock (generally low one in the pecking order) then I would put the two of them together. After a week or so, let them all out to freerange together for a few hours, but keep an eye on them. You can try using a good squirt bottle to an offending hen when she becomes aggressive.

The birds will change in dominance and pecking order. I've only four hens, and none has particularly been aggressive. However, there is a difference now that two of them are laying. So remember that nothing stays the same!
smile.png

Carla

Wow, this is amazing. I came on here to ask this question as well. I just went out to feed the chickens some snacks and noticed that my BO had some blood on her wing. I knew it couldnt of come from her and sure enough when my EE (or whatever she is) came up she had a huge gaping hole on top of her head!
barnie.gif
hit.gif
sickbyc.gif

We have her in the kitchen in what we used as a chick pen when they were all little. They were raise together and I think it's one of the Roos doing it to her. I'll let her heal in the house and then try the pine tar as well. If not I guess she'll just have to be a house chicken? Lol. I've been know to do crazier things before!
idunno.gif

Quote:
It looks like they have pine tar at McMurrays I also noticed something called Blu-Kote. It is spray and is suppose to help aid in healing as well as a bad taste for the others to stop pecking at her. Has anyone used this with luck?

Back
Top Bottom