1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pecked pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrb.android, Sep 6, 2010.

1. jrb.android

jrb.android New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    sorry, first post, and less then 8 months of chicken experience. i started with a single rooster and hen, through trial and error, and also, the other chickens were eaten by dogs and wild animals. not sure of the breeds... but anyway.
    they've been pecking the heck out of my newest hen, to the point where i just had to remove her, tons of missing feathers, and open sours. i have her in a dog cage right next to the regular chicken cage, so they can at least see her, from reading i should have moved the 2 agressive birds over instead.
    what can i do for her, i was thinking of bringing her inside, and treating her to our food and a make shift bed to get her back to health, i fear no matter how much i coddle her and bring her back to health, they will terrorize her again. so... what should i do to nurse her back to health, im in tennessee, its starting to get cold at night, shes got her own water, own chicken feed, and she gets diner scraps.
    and for after shes back and kicking, how to i add her to the flock, on a weekend when i can see whats going on, and "bench" the offending chickens?
    thanks, site has been helpful so far!

2. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I read some place on here that pine tar was supposed to defer pecking and was also a very good wound healer.

3. jrb.android

jrb.android New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    pine tar, as in sap from a pine tree? over the counter remedy or go find a pine tree?

4. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I guess you can find it in the feed store...I looked for it once at Tractor supply randomly, I may not have looked in the right place. My mom used to use it on her horse so maybe it was in the horse section? Maybe someone else can say where they got theirs from...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by