Pecked Turken has abscess.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BayCityBabe, May 26, 2008.

1. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I posted a couple days ago that my 2 week old Turken had been pecked by other chicks. I followed the recommendations offered: red light, antibiotic ointment, Blue Cote, isolation. She's alive, eating (medicated feed), drinking & seemingly vigorous.
    HOWEVER, she has a big ol' lump on the back of her neck. Looks awful. Like a puss bag. Mind you, when we pulled her out, saved her, her injuries were not at all severe. Looked like a couple of pinch marks, with red welts, no bleeding. I do not know what to watch for. I am afraid to attempt to drain this thing.
    Should I just chill out?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would drain it, clean it well and put some antibiotic ointment on it and keep it cleaned and treated until it heals.

Why are you afraid to try to drain it? Where is it exactly?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. BayCityBabe

May 1, 2008
    It is on the back of the neck. I suppose I am afraid to open it because I might bleed her to death or something...

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    She definatley wont bleed to death--it is more likely it will start to close itself up before you even get it all out. You need to get it all out now. Bird abcess have a tendancy to get very hard like material in it. It is very hard to removed once it gets to that point. By then you usually need a surgical blade to do it. Use can use a sharp blade, put a small slit in it..about ------ this long and press it out. If you have a syringe, or something like an eye dropper, but warm water back in (iodien or antibacertial soap in it if you have it) and keep flushing it that way. Dont put AB ointment in it as it will cover up the natural draining process and create a new abcess. I have done MANY MANY abcess over the years..mostly cats and dogs..but lots of rabbits and chickens too!

Good luck. She will probably act like nothing is happening!

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. BayCityBabe

May 1, 2008
    I did not know that the AB ointment would make it hard, but - yes - that's what happened. This morning she had a couple of hard lumps the size of peas, like blood boogers (sorry, that's the best description I can think of). One lump was actually preventing a tear from healing back in place. Soooooo... what I did was use a warm cloth to loosen up all the dried blood. I used a medical scissor to cut away the glops of hard stuff. (She did not feel this at all). Then I reapplied Blue Cote. She is in isolation, gated off from her tormentors, but able to be near. She sleeps right against the gate & the others piled up by her. She is eating medicated feed and plain yogurt.
    I am pretty aggravated by this situation & afraid that I will have longterm hassles with this Turken being bullied.
    DD says, "But she is so CUTE. She has pretty grey eyes!"

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Maybe not long term problems....hopefully they will work it out.

Glad you cleaned it out and I bet she feels better too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by