Pecked until bloody

Hottchick

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
OK. So I've been trying to integrate some chicks in with 3 that are 3 months old. Things seemed to be going fine. This morning one has been pecked in 2 places until she's bleeding. One on her head and the same side on her wing. What do I do for her? Do I need to separate them? They were in a separate area of the coop where they could see each other but not reach each other for 1 week. Now I have it where they can come and go together. Maybe they need more time? The chicks are pretty fully feathered but the victim is a Brahma who is smaller than the rest.

What do I need to do for her injuries?

Hi there-

One of the things I try to do, is make sure that the chicks I raise are the same size as the adults before I let them get together. I know everybody can't do that, but chickens are so territorial, and so mean.....well, you've just witnessed what will happen.

So sorry to hear that. They will definitely need more time apart. If you can clean the blood off the little chick, and maybe put some blue cote spray on it's wounds, that can deter further pecking from the other new chicks. Blood seems to really attract attention to chicks and chickens.

Hope she gets better quickly,
Sharon

Is Benzalkonium chloride safe to use to clean the wound? I don't have any Blue Kote and don't know if my local Tractor Supply carries it.

I also have some Neosporin.

I got Blue Kote for her injuries. Does she need to stay separated from her flock? I have separated the smaller ones from the bigger ones now. If they have to stay that way for a couple of more weeks, so be it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

This
is a good page for getting advice on integration (scroll down).

If your chicks are just fully feathered, IMO they will be too young to go in with 3 month olds.

I just completed integration of two of my flocks a few days ago (and had tried repeatedly up to now to get them to integrate resulting in some of the chicks almost getting killed if I hadn't been there).

The youngest members of the now-one flock are about 3 months old (12 weeks), and the oldest members are about 6 months old.

I recommend integrating at around 12 weeks of age at the earliest- WHEN the older chickens are a LOT older. I would integrate much sooner if the age difference wasn't so great. I found out myself the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom