Pecked vent - intestine hanging out? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by timebider, Feb 3, 2017.

1. timebider

timebider Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    Yesterday afternoon I discovered two hens with bloody heads and one with a bloody vent. Brought the pecked girl in and drenched the area with wound spray. A bit later I realized something that looks like a long string of intestine is hanging down, dripping poo. She's standing hunched up and didn'the lie down all night. Drank some water but won't eat anything but mealworms. [​IMG]

Taking her to be euthanized this a.m. because she is in pain and is also an unbreakable egg-eater (had been keeping her as a pet since she only eats her own eggs), so I don't want to invest a lot of time and effort and prolong her suffering by trying to fix something that looks unfixable. My question is, for future reference, IS it unfixable? Can a chicken heal from having her guts pulled out of her vent? God forbid it happens again, I want to be prepared. Thanks!

2. timebider

timebider Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2016
    Can't get photo to load...at this point, looks like a 5" string of liquid poo hanging down.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by