1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecker Recker for 3 month old chicks - says it contains Oyster shell can I still give it to them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wahmommy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    My 3 month old pullets are bored and starting to feather pick. I want to give them something to occupy them, and I am planning on putting a cabbage in with them but I was also going to get some Pecker Recker- but it says one of the ingredients has oyster shells. I can make one too, but I'm under the weather today and think my best line of action is a drive to the feed store to pick one up rather than trying to cook :)

Anyway, I didn't know if its safe because I know chicks who are still aways from laying shouldn't have oyster shell...

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    feather picking is often a sign of not enough protien or more probable, not enough space, as they grow they need more and more space? I know you are not feeling the best to day, but might consider it.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sounds like they don't have enough room. Any way to get them more space?

Do you have a white light on them 24/7? No dark period can cause pullets to peck.

The other cause of pecking can be not enough protein. We use a higher-protein feed in the winter when there are no bugs to eat. We've also fed cat food as treats to pecking pullets.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, first thing that came to my mind was how many birds and how much space? Mine are never bored enough to feather pick, and I don't provide "entertainment" for them.

5. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    They are definitely in too small a space, its four 3 month old pullets in a box that is about 10 square feet. I am waiting for the builder to finish our new large coop and run, but for various reasons it just keeps getting put off (scheduling, then rain, etc.). I called to a local appliance store the same day I posted this to try and get another 10 square foot box but they won't have more boxes until tomorrow. Once I get another box I will put two pullets in each - and then maybe I can figure out who is doing the picking as well. I am also putting them outside in a kids play yard that measures about 25 feet for several hours a day but because we are surrounded by predators (hawks, coyotes) I don't feel comfortable leaving them out there while I go out, only when I am at home. Right now all four are still together, but hopefully tomorrow they will have more space. So far they have completely ignored the pecker recker and the cabbage on a rope I put in the box...

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sounds like they're stressed. When you get them more room, the bad behavior should stop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by