1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pecking 101 with blood

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimpaw, Jun 3, 2008.

1. kimpaw

kimpaw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    The 27 girls are about 4 weeks old and seem happy in their 8x12 coop. Today I found one of the white rocks with a bloody tail and the others where all getting a taste of it as they passed. I moved her to an isolated part of the coop where she can see the others but they are separated. What do i put on the wound and how soon can she go back with the others? Thanks, Kimpaw

2. Coop-a-kick

Coop-a-kick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    Altamonte Springs, FL
    Kimpaw, I hope she's okay!

Our vet recommended putting just a little flour on the wound if our cockatiels ever got hurt. They are much smaller than chickens, but I know it works to stanch bleeding.

3. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    One of my chicks hurt her foot once, bleeding, poor thing. I found that until the bleeding stopped, the other girls just would not let up on her. So I would keep her isolated until all signs of blood are gone. Good luck.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    They peck at red spots. spray her with blu kote. it "paints" the area blue and is also an antiseptic to help the wound. we get it from our feed store.

5. kimpaw

kimpaw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2008
    Thanks all, So she may have just gotten hurt and then they started pecking at red . Thats helpful to know. I will get some blu kote.

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Nooooo don't use Blu Kote on food producing animals. Try Pick-No-More, it's all natural and works great.

7. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well wait for the wounds to heal then try rooster booster pink-no-more lotion. Once you put it on and the chickens have a taste they stay away FAR away lol it tastes horrible trust me i was putting some on my gray silkie and she shook her feathers really hard UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH never again lol

8. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    When/If you use the blu-kote try to use a q-tip, this way it will not be as messy. Speaking from lots of experience. [​IMG]

9. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Cara is the blu kote bad for chickens? They recommended it to us at the feed store this morning. I already put it on.

We try to stay organic and natural. The at the feed store said it was fine and he is a homeopathic vet he said?
    Help

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It has the following warning on the bottle:

Not for use on horses intended for food

Since horses are much larger animals, it will be present in higher concentrations in a chicken.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by