pecking already..

jmtcmkb

Songster
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
New Hampshire
I just got home with my baby chicks, put them in their brooder, they are eating and drinking like crazy. There is one who is already being picked on, I am guessing this is normal, do I interfere? It's a dominique, she ( I hope) get pushed out of the way with both food and water, and there is a red star who keeps pecking at her eyes.
sad.png

well there is plenty of food and water available, it seems wherever she goes even if every other spot is open this other one pushes her away. I scattered food all over the floor so its widely available. They seem to have calmed down now. The Dominique and Australorp have found there way back to the ecoglow to rest. I will add another small dish with food and see if that helps.

My thinking was that if there was a separate feeder for any rejected chicks the bully couldn't be at two places at the same time so I spaced them so that the bully either has to eat or to bully but cannot do both at the same time easily, giving the underdog time to get food. But the problem never developed in my case (at least not so far).

Does your dominique have a dense white spot on her head? I've read that that is a certain mark for female. Males have white on their heads but it is more mottled and not so focused. My three dominiques have the white spots, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Yes she does, and also dark legs, I think that is a marker as well. Well I jus checked and that same chick was pecking at the Australorps eyes as well
sad.png
I took the pecking chick out and put her back in the delivery box with some food and water, there is a heat pad in there as well. Is this just normal pecking order stuff?

When I put food down in 3 differant places for the very same reason. I have just one that has to stop others from eating in the bowl she does. Water also. I have 1 in the run 1 in the coop and 1 behind the coop. She can not be in the same place all the time. NO MORE PROBLEM!!

\\Steve

Last edited:
thanks guys... I just added a small dish of food at the other end of brooder and put the bully back in. She is still pecking and it's only at the black chicks I dont know why, but they move away. I have 5 chicks- 2 red stars, 1 Australorp, 1 Dominique and 1 buff orpington- names to be announced when my kids get home from school
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom