1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking at each other?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My two week old chicks look kind of scruffy. Is it just them growing in feathers or they are pecking at each other. I moved them to a bigger brooder, and the LOVE it. I noticed that they are kinda of chasing each other around, but i think they are just playing. If pics will help, i'll try and put some up.

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    They haven't reached the full scruffy stage yet. Just another week or two. They are probaby just starting to sort out their pecking order. They will zoom at each other and chest bump with necks stretched out before long. It's all normal as long as there aren't feathers flying and blood. The extra room will help too. Some say using a red heatlamp will cut down on aggresion over a white one too.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have a red one. Come to think of it, they are zooming at each other a little bit. Also, how do you tame them? I hold them and all, and two of them are TAME. but the others don't like it.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Keep handling them every day. The more you handle them, the more tame they should get. Some just have more dominant personalities though and never become little cuddle bugs.

5. chickendancers4

chickendancers4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    Schwenksville, PA
    My girls are three weeks old. Starting to feather and i noticed a red/bloody spot on ones tail feather area. She was pecking at it and i quickly pulled her and cleaned it out and applied ABX ointment. I watched to make sure she was not getting pecked by others so far so good. Pecking is normal but watch for red spots or open areas. I love watching them play..the "chase" and "chest bump" is great! I have a roost in the brooder and they play "queen of the roost". I find myself watching them more then watching TV!!
    [​IMG]

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Chicken TV is the best channel.

7. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012

I completely agree!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by