Pecking at feet after freak winter weather

WaspSlayer

Songster
Jul 21, 2020
My neighbor's chickens was found pecking at her feet until they bleed. We recently had a week of snow of the ground, here in East Texas...which is HIGHLY unusual. Could this be because of frostbite? I've posted pics. I dont know much about this chicken, besides the fact that she old. My neighbor asked me to post for her, and as you can tell from my avatar, I'm only "chirping" so I so t have a clue. Please advise best guess scenario of cause and applicable aid.
Resized_Resized952021022295145922.jpeg
Resized_Resized952021022295145910.jpeg
Resized_Resized952021022295145916.jpeg

Thank you!!

The feet have a severe case of scaly leg mites which may cause her to itch and peck herself. You can treat leg mites by soaking the legs in warm soapy water and using a toothbrush to gently wash them. Then apply a thick oil, nustock cream or vaseline to the legs and feet once or twice a week and rub it in. Ivermectin pour on 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight applied to the back of the neck also will treat them. Repeat that in 14 days, and do not use her eggs for a month.

The feet have a severe case of scaly leg mites which may cause her to itch and peck herself. You can treat leg mites by soaking the legs in warm soapy water and using a toothbrush to gently wash them. Then apply a thick oil, nustock cream or vaseline to the legs and feet once or twice a week and rub it in. Ivermectin pour on 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight applied to the back of the neck also will treat them. Repeat that in 14 days, and do not use her eggs for a month.
Thank you Eggcessive! My neighbor & I really appreciate your advice!

Back
Top Bottom