Pecking at new feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SammileeChickie, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I have two chicks, one is older than the other and she already has some adult wing feathers and some tail feathers. My other younger chick always pecks and pulls at the older ones feathers.! It looks so painful :( she will nip at the tail feather and hold on to it while the older bird tries to get away.
    Is there anything I can do about this.?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use Rooster Booster pick no more lotion on spots where baby chicks tend to pick/peck as it tastes bad to them. It looks kind of like molasses and stains but it makes them wipe their beaks LOL.

3. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Oh cool.! Where do you get this lotion.? :) do you know what is the main ingredient in it.?
    Also I just read that putting Vicks on bullied chickens keeps others from pecking them. Have you ever tried this or do you think it is bad for chicks.? :(

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I get it from the feed store. They sell it on internet too.

Personally I would be careful about putting vicks on new chicks as it is very vaporous. I have never used it on chickens so cannot really say anything about it.

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I have tried the vicks for pecking. It works. Put just a tiny bit on your fingers and wipe a little on the tips of the tail feathers. Not a bunch so they would get a bunch in their mouth. Just enough for the scent.

1 person likes this.
  6. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Okay thank you :)

7. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California

Maybe I'll wait till they are older, I think they only peck each other when out of the brooder because when they are inside they are calm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by