1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking at the egg tooth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickeninthemeadow, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Hi, I just got my fuzzy butts (6 BOs and 6 Speckled Sussex) earlier today and I've been watching them. One of them (a SS) keeps pecking at everyone's egg tooth (the little white bit on the end of their beaks, especially pronounced on the Sussex as they have dark ends on their beaks and then the white tip). Is this normal behavior, is she just trying to establish her position as top fuzzy butt, or should I start being concerned that this fuzzy butt is aggressive? She seems to be the only one doing it. They are 2 days old, hatched on Wed I believe.

2. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I haven't ever noticed any of my batches of babies doing that but they are attracted to things that stand out. I got a french manicure the other day and mine LOVE to peck at the white tips every time I've got my hands in the brooder [​IMG] LOL

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Mine have done that. For me it has been the youngest ones who are the most curious and do it to the others. I have had to push them away or take them out for a little to distract them but it doesn't last long and I have never had anyone get hurt. If the others get ticked off enough they will peck back or move away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by