Pecking at vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mark Yeager, May 18, 2011.

1. Mark Yeager

Mark Yeager New Egg

May 18, 2011
    Hello - I just started this project of raising chickens on my property. Just purchased (8) Yellow & (8) Red Layers (from the Tractor Supply here in Noblesville, IN). But have developed a problem with the behavior of the ~ 7 week old batch. The batch have begun to peck at each others vent holes & (1) poor fellow in particular. They seem to gang up on the guy - to the point now that they have constant blood on the chick, and most of the feathers on its rear are gone. I seperate it for a day or two, to let it heal, but the second I let it back with the others - they all begin to attack it again. I have a nice pen & coop set up. The pen is 20' x 20' & is roofed. The coop is 8' x 12' & well insulate & ventilated. Both have plenty of water & feed around & plenty of roosts & things to play with. It is a Yellow that is getting attacked. And the Yellow's seem to be more aggressive than the Red's.

Thank you for any help. Mark in Noblelsville, IN

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Pull him out til he scabs over, then dip his butt in Blu-Kote (or spray if you have the spray), but be careful - it stains!

Then try to figure out why all the picking. Are you offering too many treats? Too many treats can cause overall protein deficiencies when they chickens choose "candy" over dinner.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Hi Mark

Welcome

[​IMG] from Maine ! And there is hope for your chickens!

4. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Spray his butt with blu-kote asap. you can do it before he scabs over, it will kill the germs and keep it from getting infected since it will come into contact with the bacteria in its poop. Im not sure why they are doing it though. My big girls like to groom each other's vent feathers, but never peck to the point of blood. They also make something purple, violet something, that you can use on its vent too.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

At the feed store you can get no-pick lotion or salve. It tastes bad- you smear it all over their tushies and they stop pecking.

6. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you use a light in your coop try switching to red bulbs. It helps keep them calmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by