• will she get fine

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Salman93

Chirping
Sep 6, 2015
Kashmir, India
IMG_20180124_095711.jpg

Friends recently purchased this hen and add her to the already existing flock. To my surprise she was pecked by one hen. But today I found her in this state. Even some piece of flesh was torn.
Will she get fine

Wow, that looks bad. I would separate her & treat her wounds. Chickens can be vicious & the strongest survive, she appears to be a weak target right now. Maybe if she is put in a cage/pen amongst the flock, she can recuperate & still socialize to be let out when all healed again or go to a more docile group. Best wishes.

Last edited:
OMG! Poor baby!

I do not have a lot of experience with injuries but yes, definitely separate her and she will need some sort of cleansing and treatment to hopefully stop infection. Someone else will chime in with treatment suggestions. She will need to be kept away from the others until she has completely healed as the sight of blood will just cause them to attack her again.

Anyways, I basically wanted to post to say Please, Please do not let your friends add her to an existing flock again without the correct integration beforehand.

Tips on how to do that are available here:
Topic of the Week - Adding New Chickens to the Flock

Please inform your friend, it's NOT advisable to add any amount of chickens to an existing flock without a "See but No Touch" introduction which may take several weeks. Poor girl, do keep her separated from the rest, tend her injuries & keep her warm. When she's completely healed, hope the trauma of that pecking/beating she took fades in her mind.

Think of a chicken run like a prison yard, and the chickens the inmates. You just threw a new solo inmate to the gang in the yard. Chickens must be introduced slowly. All animals, really. Children and adults too I suppose haha.

Will she be okay? Most likely yes, if you get her out of there and put her in a sick pen where you can treat and protect her. Chickens like the color red and will pick at it, being coated in blood will only attract more negative attention.

Pull her out of there, and clean the wound and feathers with a peroxide and warm water mix. If you cannot visualize the wound, trim back some feathers until you are able to do so. If the wound is superficial, you can coat it with blue kote and almost call it a day. If you believe it to be deeper you will need to post clear pictures for further guidance.

Also, remember that a little blood can go a long way in terms of its ability to be smeared and spread to look like it was a lot more than what was actually lost.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thank you friends, you all were very helpful.
I separated her and applied some antiseptic liquid on the wounds, then some antiseptic cream. She seemed fine and was eating and drinking nicely but she was very much scared of all the flock members. I put her with 4 others hens, they are lovely. They didn't hurt her. I wasnt home yesterday so my cousin put her with others again. Today morning when I returned, I found her again wounded badly and she was bleeding, there was some new wound. She was just about to die, I felt so much bad about her. I even cursed myself that I bought her.
At last I would say she died.

Back
Top Bottom