Pecking chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jharper, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    I have a chick that hatched out last night with another one. He won't stop pecking and tugging on the other chicks feet. It was like that when I put 3 more in there. I had to section him off from all the others.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicks peck at everything when they hatch. It's instinctive and rarely do they do harm to one another. Toes and eyes are always favorite targets. Once they learn what's 'food' the pecking generally subsides.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    And be sure they aren't too warm. Sometimes changing from white to red light helps, if you aren't already using a red bulb.

4. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    oh yeah, i had one of those last year. Since I wasn't using the incubator for any other hatches, i heated it up and once it got warm i unplugged it and put the aggressive chick in there. I put the top on an angle so that it didn't escape and it could get air.

5. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Thanks!

6. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
  7. rockthecoop

rockthecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    It may be for many reasons, but we had a chick that did that very same thing, it would peck the other chicks. It may be that they are establishing a pecking order or another reason. What we would do is when the chick would peck at another one we would tap his beak so he new not to do it. It may take a little while but I hope it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by