pecking chickens again.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lionpearl10, Dec 16, 2008.

1. lionpearl10

lionpearl10 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2008
    Yesterday I wrote that it appeared one of my chickens was getting pecked pretty bad from one in particular other chicken. I seperated her came home from work and went to the 5 others and it appears one other chicken is being pecked. she has some feathers missing and she was sitting on a roost by herself. I have to work tom and I do 12 hour shifts. I don't know if this is going to stop I am very upset. I will have to seperate her too because I can't watch them. It seemed to me one chicken in particular was pecking at others. I have the day off after tom. and the next after that when I can watch them better. I feel having the light on longer and the storm with all the disruption contributed to this. Has anyone else had this problem and did it resolve? when I watched them yesterday it was not a constant pickfest and they certainly have a big enough coop. It is supposedly big enough for 12 chickens. 3 roosting areas.I had some nice hints from someone yesterday but I need some advice still. Help! [​IMG] lionpearl
    t

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lionpearl,
    I have no advice other than what we already talked about yesterday. Just wanted to tell you I am sorry for your new troubles. [​IMG]
    Exactly how long are they getting light for each day? and how bright is the light?
    The only thing I could suggest is that you go to a red bulb or a very dim white light bulb.

3. lionpearl10

Nov 22, 2008
    Hi, thanks,I found another site and alot of them were talking about them being bored and some throw pine boughs in and they enjoy that or leaves, or even a rotting piece of wood. I also saw hang a cabbage. I did let them out of their pen for about a half an hour 2 days ago and followed them around, due to hawks, and they headed right for the woods and the leaves and prefered pecking in the leaves. So I threw some of those leaves in the coop, it might entertain them for a while. I also saw they might want protein because they normally eat bugs and all that. It did make me feel better seeing these suggestions. I am not glad others are having the same problem but I can see it is quite common. It honestly just started last week. The only thing I can think of is the light being on when we are at work, which I did a couple of times because I am gone for at least 13 hours. guess it wasn't a good idea. I honestly have so many eggs I don't know what to do with them, lol. We also had that bad ice storm which I am sure disrupted them. We have had some really cold nights, my roo has some frostbite on his comb and a couple of the girls. Its not even winter yet and we are getting hit bad. I honestly cater to these chickens making sure they get out , give treats and all was going well until last week. And it was 2 days that I worked and it they were cooped up,ha ha,in the coop for all that time when this started. Well this animal lover will just have to keep working on it. I have 2 in the garage, the infirmary, lol. My first one did just fine today in there and maybe seeing her sister will help the other one. She was shaking when I was carrying her, made me feel bad. Well this mini farmer will just keep working on the problem, some people have solved it so we will see. Thanks for giving your two cents, someone just answering helps alot I know I am not totally alone in this. lionpearl

4. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    Take out the (PECKER). When I have a bully, I just put them in a their own pen for a while.

5. lionpearl10

Nov 22, 2008
    I have to figure out who it is and how long do you keep them seperated? lionpearl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by