Pecking chickens and mean hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krange71, Jun 23, 2008.

1. krange71

krange71 New Egg

Apr 19, 2008
    I have over 110 chickens and they are all doing ok so far except I have 2 silkies that are with them and they are ruthless to them. They were doing great togther until the standard hens got bigger than the silkies. I also have 30 hens in a seperate pen with geese because they are smaller then the other 110. I would like to put them all together eventually but I am really unsure how to go about doing it. I have ducks also with the 110 hens and the roosters tried to get on the ducks. Talk about confused. I would eventually like to have all the hens and one or two roosters together in the big pen and the ducks, geese and silkies in the smaller one. My older hens pecked at each other alot when they were alone and then I had 2 roosters with them and there back feathers and the feathers on their head are gone. I thought they would be back by now, but they are not. I was going to try the anti peck but I heard that it doesn't work. Anyway if you have any advice that would be great. If you need to know the breeds here they are. Leghorns, RIR, Silver laced wyandotte, buff orpingtons, brahma and 2 silkie hens and one silkie rooster in one pen. In the other pen that I would to put all together one day is ones that we rescued and I was told they are Americauna breeds, mixed breeds I assume, easter eggers and 3 Dominequers (however you spell it). They are unlike any hens I have ever seen besides the easter eggers. I would love to be able to put them all together so the ducks and geese could be together in the other pen. HELP!!! I hope this makes sense.

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Birds of a feather flock together, an old statement with much truth to it. Often times chickens will pick on others because they look different as in size or color. Depending on space I would give them all plenty of room in a large pen with plenty of places to hide if need be. I would not house the waterfowl with the chickens either, Geese can and will bully the chickens and might bully the ducks too plus the ganders could hurt them by trying to mate with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by