Pecking Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ameliachickens, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ameliachickens

ameliachickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    I have recently got two new pullet bantam silkie chickens and I want to add them to my 2 sex-link chickens, 1 Rhode island red rooster and 1 lemon leghorn orpington. 1 of my sex-link is broody, so she is not a problem. My other sex-link is pecking on the two new silkies when ever I put them in the run. The rooster joins in on pecking the silkies when the sex-link pecks them. I have tried putting up distractions, and even putting the silkies in a makeshift area next to my regular hens run so they could see eachother but not get to eachother. But I cant have two seperate runs for them becauseI am constantly traveling. Does anybody have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It may never work. Silkies are especially prone to bullying because they're docile, timid and have poor vision. Then adding two small birds to an established flock is a recipe for disaster. RIRs are bullies in a mixed flock.
    They're seen as outsiders. Outsiders are a threat the health of the flock and they want to drive them away or kill them.

Sorry. If they were bigger faster birds it may be a different story.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If they want to be mean ,get them all "pinless peepers," to take them down a peg or two. It prevents the birds from seeing straight ahead so their aim is off. Check them out in the search box. It also gives them something else to do with their time - they may even forget about the silkies.

You could also trim back beards and crests on the silkies so they actually can see things around them. Sometimes it gives them the confidence to fight back.

If you don't need fertile eggs for hatching or to sell, you can do without a rooster. Hens will continue to lay just as many eggs without them. People I knew had RIR's and they were aggressive and bullying other breeds - so it's not just silkies.

Is it possible to partition the run with wire, to separate the brutes from the dociles? Silkies generally do NOT roost on poles, they can't fly - they usually pile up on the floor in a corner. This might get them thru the night with the others.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

X2.

7. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by