Pecking chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Idaspoultry, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Idaspoultry

Idaspoultry New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    Hi! Im raising some chicks right now that I got from murdochs about two weeks ago and they are all from different breeds and got along nicely the first few weeks. Today I noticed my white leghorn was getting pecked on her tail and was bleeding! I sprayed blu kote on her and monitored them. I found that my brown leghorn was going around trying to rip feathers out of the other chicks! I separated the one getting picked on and she's doing ok now. None of the other ones are bleeding (yet) so I think I'll get them a bigger brooder tomorrow and see how they all do then. Does this happen often or do I just have a killer chick! Should I raise that one separate from the others? I would hate to even think of it but do I needn't to cull her if she makes others bleed? I've raised chicks before and have never had this happen! Thanks for any help I'm not sure what to do here!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At about two weeks chicks become more busy and need more room, less heat, and stuff to do. If it's warm enough put them outside in a movable temporary pen during warm days. Otherwise definitely get them in a bigger brooder and give them stuff to do like perches and clumps of sod from your yard for them to pick and dig at. They will again need more room at 6-8 weeks, which is a good time to get them out to the coop.

3. Idaspoultry

Idaspoultry New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    Thank you! Its still very cold here but tomorrow I'll get a bigger brooder and add some perches. they were probably telling me to give them more things to do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by