Pecking chooks

Bevan

Hatching
Oct 24, 2017
Hello, I'm still fairly new to having chooks. They have established a pecking order and things have been going smoothly for the past month. Just noticed today that the chicken at the bottom of the pecking order has a red raw bum that looks like its been bleeding, losing feathers from the area and the other chooks are pecking the red area.
Are they just reaffirming the order? Should I be concerned? Any tips on what to do?

Cheers,
Bevan.

2x The one with the red bum should be isolated & spray the the raw area with BluKote! Poor thing, the others will continue pecking and it's got nothing to do with the pecking order. What are you feeding them? You may need to up the protein or feed them some scrambled eggs or mealworms. Feather picking sometime means they're lacking protein or boredom or not enough room in the coop. How many chickens do you have? Size of their living space? The minimum is said to be 4 sq ft per bird in the coop & 10 sq ft per in the run.

Many factors when pecking happens...
Too crowded
Too warm
Protein too low in feed
Coop too bright....
Pecking in poultry once it starts is hard to stop...What breed are these Chickens?
ISA Browns they are. I have isolated her and begun fungal treatment. She seems to be improving. The sudden rise in temp might have been a factor, our cookies have plenty of room and roam the yard most afternoons. Thank you for replying

2x The one with the red bum should be isolated & spray the the raw area with BluKote! Poor thing, the others will continue pecking and it's got nothing to do with the pecking order. What are you feeding them? You may need to up the protein or feed them some scrambled eggs or mealworms. Feather picking sometime means they're lacking protein or boredom or not enough room in the coop. How many chickens do you have? Size of their living space? The minimum is said to be 4 sq ft per bird in the coop & 10 sq ft per in the run.
I might try upping their protein intake, she has been isolated and treatment has started. I have 6 chooks in an 18sq m pen. Thank you for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom