Pecking duck... Nope I don't mean pekin. :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by amarook, May 9, 2009.

1. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I have 2 ducklings they are 2 weeks old. One is a Pekin, the other we aren't sure yet. Might be a Cayuga.

It finally stopped raining, so I took them for their first waddle around the yard yesterday. So stinking cute.

When my BF gets home he usually likes to sit and watch the chickens. I told him I'd meet him out there. I proceeded to bring the ducklings out the front door and we walked around the side of the house towards the chicken coop, and I said "Jeff, Look!"

He was laughing his butt off watching them waddle after me through the yard. I got a pan of water and sat it on the grass between our chairs, and they had fun playing in the water and plucking grass.

The chickens would come to the fence and make weird noises at the ducklings. The black duckling started to hang out by the fence and if one of the chickens tried to peck, the duckling would instantly peck back. It was sooo funny.
    I would've never thought that a duck would peck back at a bird so much bigger.

The pekin duckling just stays away from the chicks.

Is that normal behavior for a duckling to peck back at something 3 times it size?

It was pretty funny. [​IMG]

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    pic's[​IMG]

3. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
  4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    that was cute! [​IMG]

Your black ducky looks like mine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. W.CharltonChickens

W.CharltonChickens Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    West Charlton, NY
    Cute video. From my experience with ducks.... they don't take crap from anyone. So, I'm not surprised they pecked back [​IMG]

Todd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by