Pecking eyeballs???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MattalynsBarn, Jun 22, 2010.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    My chicks just came today and every once in a while they'll peck each others eye. one of them does it more often than others, she is also the only yellow one. They are all females. Also when they arrived one of them was reluctant to open her eyes. What should I do for both problems? Other than that they are perky and happy, drinking and eating, then napping

2. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    mine did that as well...after a while they stopped..i was worried that they would peck each others eyes out or damange them...but none of that happened..just curiosity..the eyes are shiny so they are attracted to them..i have a dominique that is 3 wks and she will sleep with 1 eye open and 1 closed...might try a wet wash cloth and wash her face see if that will get her open her eyes:confused:

3. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    That's probably one of the things that the red bulb helps with. She appears to have opened her eyes now, I think she just needed the nap.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you were a chick(en), you'd find that shiny little black thing appealing too... [​IMG] I'd say they outgrow it, but DH got pecked in the eye by our friendliest bird (who was sitting on his shoulder) when she was about 10 weeks old...lol. Pupils must look like tasty bugs...heehee.

5. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    me EE got me in the eye...i was a little worried cause after a while i started having double vision in it..then it went away the next day..maybe they see their reflection in it and think there's another chick in there!!!!

6. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    That makes sense. Not they're doing it to each others beaks too, I think it's just curiosity.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Just curious .. At that age they are trying to decide what is food and what is not .. Be sure you arent crowding them and they have the correct heat and they should be fine

8. sally4500

sally4500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    NH
    One of mine did the same thing a few days after they arrived. One of the chicks got an eye infection from it, and had to have antibiotic ointment for 2 weeks. Now the eye is okay, the chick that was doing the pecking stopped, and everyone is happy.

9. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

It will get better once they get accostomed to eating. Use a red bulb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by