1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking for blood

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klutzyruth, Mar 26, 2009.

1. klutzyruth

klutzyruth Out Of The Brooder

I don't know if it was bad juju or what. I was reading the bored babies thread yesterday and thought, I'm glad I don't have any trouble.
    BAM! Trouble. The 3 week olds were in there outdoor pen yesterday and I got the news that one had a bloody backside.
    I separated him from the rest and thought that would be the end.
    Oh no, nope. Today, all but one have been pecked. A bunch of bloody butts.
    They had toys, mirrors, outdoor time, fresh food, water. What happened?

I got some Fooey spray from the pet store. Man, it's awful. They are still pecking at each other. Even themselves!

What can I do? I've run out of cages (3) and picked up a baby play thingy today to use, too.
    It's 7 three week old speckled sussex, if that matters.
    Ruth

Edited for:
    Stinkin brats! They seem to like the Fooey stuff. It certainly isn't a deterrent.
    I remembered my big ferret cage and got it out. 2 x 4 x 3. I closed off all three stories and divided it in halves. Six sections.
    2 X 2 x 1 tall. The other poor soul is by himself in a super pet cage. Maybe, they'll forget about this pecking thing, shortly.
    What I don't get, is why eat at yourself?
    Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Somehow you have to identify which one or ones are doing the pecking and get them outta there! I hope you find a solution!

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I got some stuff at the feed store. I think it's called no peck. They don't like the taste and it stains them a little but it also helps to heal. It took a few times but they have finally stopped. Good Luck.

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I am really going to be watching this thread and hope someone (or a few) who have BTDT will respond with solutions.

I have had a bunch of chicks over the years and for whatever reason this particular set of babies that I got 3 weeks ago are pecking one another bloody.

It is as frustrating as can be. My DH has had a nightmare about bloody chicks from the stress of trying to isolate and eliminate the problem chicks.

The only thing I have done differently with these is to put them outside earlier than any others I have had.

Oh, and one other difference is that there were little roos in there too, and it seemed that they are the ones who initially started the pecking. So, I moved the little buggers into the slightly older chicks pen and they promptly put them in their places and no more pecking from them.

I don't know if the rest of the babies learned the behavior from the roos or what, but there were still a few EE'ers and Buff Orps who continued the behavior and as I found them I put them into the other pen as well.

At first the ones who were picked on were the broiler babies. I have since read (On the meat bird forum) that they should be kept by themselves as they are big and slow and lazy which aggravates the other chicks and they peck them.

At any rate, I have been treating the wounds with wound-kote and while they are still attracted to the spot they don't seem to like the taste.

I have never had this problem before and I really don't like it!

Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to share in the hopes that you might recognize some similarity or something that can help us get to the bottom (ew-bad pun) of this problem.

5. klutzyruth

Quote:I feel your pain. I've never had this type of thing happen before.

We'll get through this, even if those rascals don't.[​IMG]
    Ruth

6. hartscape

hartscape New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    Clip their upper beaks, and they won't be able to peck.

Tom

7. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Sorry, Tom, that's not an option for me. I have had debeaked birds that were given to me and I am not an advocate for the practice of debeaking for the small flock. They always had a harder time eating, free ranging, and their beaks seem so sensitive. I have read that it is quite painful for the birds.

I am not happy with the pecking, but the slow and steady identification and the removal of the offending birds is working. Along with treating the wounds with wound-kote.

I'll try all other avenues first.

Thanks for the input though.

And a big warm welcome to the BYC forums! [​IMG]:

Deb

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  8. klutzyruth

I went to Tractor Supply and got some Wound Kote.
    It's what they're using on their baby chicks.
    If nothing else, they'll look cute with purple butts.

I need to get a picture of the bad baby chick penitentiary.

At least they're not pecking at each other through the bars.[​IMG]

9. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Blu-Kote or Rooster Booster No-Pick should do the trick for young dirty rottens who like to pick. I would hazard to guess that the one not picked may be instigating the picking.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by