Pecking Injuried Flock Mate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mjwerle, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Mjwerle

Mjwerle Hatching

Jan 13, 2019
    Hello,
    I just started raising backyard chickens back in August. Everything has been great up until 3 weeks ago my son’s dog attacked Penny. We immediately removed her from the flock and have been nursing her back to health. She seems to be doing great now. I have tried 2 times to put her back with flock and one of the other chickens keeps attacking her and pecking the feathers on the back of her neck. There are no visible injuries there. Only on chicken starts this behavior but then they all seem to pile on. Any suggestions?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Mjwerle :frow Welcome To BYC
    Has Penny completely recovered to the point she can defend herself, eat/drink on her own, etc.?
    If she has been separated for a while, you will need to re-integrate her. Sadly, chickens don't usually welcome "newcomers".
    Here's some tips on re-integrating, I hope that helps:
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock

3. Mjwerle

Mjwerle Hatching

Jan 13, 2019
    Yes I think she has completely recovered although she does not try to defend herself. Thank you for the article. Sounds like it might be a long process.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Some won't defend themselves very well, they are just too docile/timid.
    Re-integration can take a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: